Madison is a city in Jefferson County, Indiana, United States, along the Ohio River. The population was 11,967 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Jefferson County. In 2006, the majority of Madison's downtown area was designated the largest contiguous National Historic Landmark in the United States, 133 blocks of the downtown area is known as the Madison Historic Landmark District. We hope you enjoy our little town!
The showpiece of the Historic District is the Lanier State Historic Site at 511 W. First St. This Greek Revival mansion, completed in 1844, has been restored to reflect its early history and is open to the public all year. From the wide veranda, the view is spectacular.
The lawn and gardens sweep down to the Ohio River with the hills of Kentucky forming a green backdrop.
Nearby at 304 W. Second St. is the Judge Jeremiah Sullivan House, a fine example of the earlier Federal Style. Historic Madison Inc. has restored this home, using many of its original furnishings. Like the homes along the Battery in Charleston, S.C., the house has wide porches along the side of the house. An unusual design feature is a basement kitchen connected by a narrow staircase to the serving kitchen on the first floor.
This home also is open to the public, as are the Francis Costigan House at 408 W. Third St. and Dr. William D. Hutchings' office and hospital at 120 W. Third, two more of the eight buildings owned by Historic Madison Inc.